Plickers is a free student response system. Yes, I said free. All you need is an iOS or Android device. Just one - for the teacher. Students do not need a device. The Plicker app reads the student response cards and gives you real time feedback.
Here's the step-by-step
- Go to www.plickers.com
- Sign up for a free account
- Download the cards (the paper clicker)- you can choose 1 per page or 2 per page. You get 40 cards
- Create your classes and enter student names. Plickers will assign them a number
- Print the cards and hand them out to your students matching up the student with the correct number
- Download the app
- Ask a question
- Students turn card so that their answer is at the top of the card
- Launch the app and scan the room
- Enjoy the magic
Now, Plickers will not replace all student response systems. Students can't answer open ended questions or enter numbers. It's strictly a multiple choice set up. But it is great for a quick pre-assessment or exit question.
Here's a screen shot of what your data will look like
|You can see the overall percentage correct, how many have voted and each student's answer.|
But what I really like is what you see on your screen as you scan. When you pass by a student their name and answer choice appears on the screen. You know right that second if they answered correctly.
I'll bring my Plicker cards to EdCampDallas this Saturday, October 12. If you want to see how it works, just let me know. I'll be the crazy woman in the royal blue "Keep Calm and Tweet On" shirt. And yes, I do already know what I'm wearing on Saturday. Don't judge. Things are crazy around here. But I wouldn't have it any other way!